Interview With May__hem (MaryAnn Igwe)

 An interview with MaryAnn Igwe, wattpad author of One Rocky Term and Ekila as regards her debut YA book.




1. How did the idea of One Rocky Term come about?

Well, it was more of a forced inspiration in a way. When I first joined Wattpad, I wanted to stay on the low and just read books. Then one day I got a follower (and because I didn't really know how things worked back then) I kinda felt obligated to write a story. So I started racking my brain. I came up with the idea after a while and it flowed naturally from there.


2. What inspired the creation of your characters?

Most of my characters were inspired by people I met in real life.


3. What was your aim with One Rocky Term? What message did you want to pass across?

Initially, it should have been about finding a voice because I felt like I tolerated a lot of things at a point that I shouldn't have. Eventually, well I don't know. It's been a while since I rewrote the story.

4. How did you find the balance between dialogue and narrative?

I watched a million writing videos and it became a part of me.


5. You're currently working on a Sci-fi book, what inspired it?

It's not Sci-fi. It's well a not-so-typical YA book with a sprinkle of mystery and leaning towards psychological thriller. 

I first came up with the idea when I wanted to tell my parents about my writing and I wanted to write something they would love to read. They didn't read it later on so I took it down for a while and eventually it took shape in my head. 

It's so different now from the first time I conceived the idea but the message is the same: The past has just as much influence on you as you allow it. 

And my characters are soon going to learn, the hard way, that they had the ability to prevent their past from destroying their future.


6. Do you have a writing routine? If so, what does a typical writing day look like for you?

I wouldn't say I have a writing routine per say. Because I'm mostly busy with school and I write many books at a time (this is not advisable), I struggle with consistency. 

But I try to get at least a thousand words down everyday. If I have a lot of free time in a day and decide to focus solely on my writing, I can write up to ten thousand.


7. Where do you find it comfortable to write?

Everywhere is comfortable for me so far there isn't any noise.

8. What is your current read at the moment?

Well, I'm reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.

9.  For you, what makes a great story?

Apart from all the elements of writing (and I'm talking wonderful plot, nice execution, 3D characters, perfect pacing and all) a great story is one which creates a lasting impression on a reader's mind. 

Very few stories have been able to leave an indelible mark on me. To make me believe in things I wouldn't, naturally. A great story is one I can understand the character because if I don't understand your character, I wouldn't feel like I want to know their story. 

A great story should probably leave me in a reading slump. It should have me thinking about the story long after I read it and still feeling the way I felt initially. 

A great story is way better than a movie. Well I could go on and on but I'll stop here.


10. What advice will you give to writers working on YA books?

I would say, be different. Don't try too hard to do this, I think it should just come to you naturally. Avoid jumping on trends and try to come up with a story that will make a difference. Trends die out faster than they begin. This is one reason you should try to be original.


11. If you could give one piece of advice to your unpublished self, what would it be?

Finish your story before putting it up on Wattpad! It helps the coherence and flow of the book and removes pressure.

12. Any top tips you want to share with other writers out there?

Firstly, consistency. The first thing any writer should learn is that they wouldn't magically become a successful writer if they don't put in effort. Loose sight of the 400 pages you're going to write and take it one page at a time. 

The second one is to do you. There are several writing advices and the biggest mistake you can make is following every single one of them like a rule. You'll end up frustrated and confused. Sift through the advices and find out what works for you best.



MaryAnn Igwe is a medical student and YA writer who has collaborated with diverse platforms in writing intriguing, soul hooking books.


Comments

  1. I loved this 🤭. I'd love to check out her book too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely! I totally agree with completing the book first. It really eliminates a lot of pressure and readers can binge without prolonged suspense. Even if all the chapters aren’t uploaded at once, they know they will get their new chapter at a set day and time because it is already written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise words from May. ❤❤✨ And I love the way these interviews are professional.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THOSE LITTLE THINGS WE NEGLECT

Interview With Yauthor (Yewande Joseph )