Interview With Yauthor (Yewande Joseph )

 An interview with Yewande Joseph, a renowned wattpad author, as regards the publishing of her YA book- My Days At Crown High School.




1. What was your aim with My Days At Crown High School. What message did you want to pass across?

 To be sincere, I just wanted to write a love story. I had just finished reading a high school love story and I just wanted to write something as beautiful as that. But I guess I shook myself in the leg as I became very ambitious with the book. I have always been a girl who loves to talk about morals. Even before I started writing on Wattpad, I wrote motivational writeups and wrote about what breaks my heart and what I think people should know about. And that was when I knew that book couldn't be an ordinary love story. I am not the writer who is straightforward with my book titles, but I was able to pass across many lessons, and if you wake me up in my sleep, I can happily remember them and discuss them.


2. What inspired the creation of your characters?

People I get to meet. The community I get to visit. The life I get to see. Strangers who make me laugh from afar. Women who inspire me with their stories. men I meet daily. What gets me mad. What happens around me. People I would have loved to talk to and encourage but I couldn't.


3. Could you tell us a bit about your publication path? From the writing, to finding of an agent and being published?

 The truth is, I don't have a beautiful story yet because it didn't go as planned. I got a message from the Pabpub founder after seeing my post about being willing to publish my book in print last year. I didn't have the money so they could only print on order. I spent more than I budgeted to cover the book cover, edit, proofread, and pay for the delivery of the copies ordered. It's amazing that I have few people holding my book sincerely, especially me. Like meeee. That's a dream come true. I am happy for the opportunity. And I'm grateful I get to do that still. But I'm not contented with the little people who ordered cause I'm aiming for the universe babe. The next time will be another dream come true.


4. As an avid reader of your books, I've noticed that your books are beautifully impactful but also offers a whole lot of humour. How did you manage balancing the lessons with the humour?

Because I have to. As a reader who became a writer, if I am not reading a motivational book, then that novel along the way must make me smile or laugh. You can't tell me all characters are the same. There must be that character who is dedicated to bringing laughter and smiles with his existence in that book. Or that cute scene between lovers that makes you smile. Because of that, I slow down on purpose to intentionally write a chapter that can make me and my readers laugh, and smile, then back to the action point. 


5. How did the idea of My days at crown high school come about?

After reading LAST DAYS AT FORCADOS HIGH SCHOOL.

6. Where do you find it comfortable to write?

To be sincere. I love to write at night. Midnight. Very early in the morning ON MY BED. Don't ever buy me a table and chair as a gift for being a writer. I remember mine when it was time to eat. Anywhere you can find me again is in the desert where not a single soul can disturb the characters in my head.


7. What are your tips on creating intruiging, page turning plots?

Don't settle for the first PLOT. Don't settle for the first Draft. Don't settle. Which other way can I write this chapter? Which other way? Which other situation can I put my character in? Which other way? Remember, there is always an answer to every question. It will come and you can now choose. So, don't settle for the first idea. THAT'S MY ONLY TIP.

8.Married to Victor Stephen is the sequel of your book. Do you plan to publish it later on as well? 

By the special grace of GOD.


9. What is your ongoing work- The Birth of Rekiya all about? And where can readers find most of your works?

I just wanted to write a historical story after watching historical kdrama and cdrama. It's about a heroine destined to put an end to the misery of the other two kingdoms and prove that her gender is capable and needed in society because each gender has different roles to play.

10. If you could offer one piece of advice to writers looking for their work to be published, what would it be?

The first time may not go well. Applaud yourself even if you fail. Others are wishing they could fail like you did. Trust me, Go and do it even if you are the only buyer. 

11. A final parting word of advice?

INVEST. But remember that your dream is like going into crypto. If you don't know the world of the market, you will lose your investment. I would not have given this advice years ago, but I have realised to be someone to reckon with, it's not about how talented or good you are. It's about the effort you put into knowing the simplest thing that you do and knowing how to deliver it. 


Yewande Joseph is the author of ten books, including her debut book (Available here) and Her writing features funny, soul hooking dialogues with irresistible characters having the abilities to capture our hearts.







Comments

  1. This was lovely. Well done, Yewande.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This is beautiful. You went through the stress to add all the links 😯 thank you for being a blessing to me😊😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With May__hem (MaryAnn Igwe)

THOSE LITTLE THINGS WE NEGLECT